Friends, hair fall, is one of the most alarming issues that we deal with in our clinics as Ayurvedic consultants. I have several hair fall patients every single day as a walk-in client. From balding, hair thinning to hair greying, to split ends, the hair problems do not seem to end. So, today I thought of sharing some basic ' Hair Care Regimen' that anyone and everyone can benefit from. With the advent of newer chemical-based hair care products, shampoos, conditioners, etc., instead of a decrease in hair fall problems, we are seeing a steady graph of increasing hair fall patients.
Of course, not to forget our diet, which is one the major source of toxins which causes hair to fall as a side-effect. Preservatives, flavor enhancers, stabilizers, and whatnots. All these are chemicals that our genetic coding system is very naive to. For ages, our ancestors have taken care of the hair solely with the help of natural herbs. And it is proven that natural or rather chemical-free remedies can work wonders in hair and skincare. Hence, here is a list of 5 simple home remedies that you can use for hair care without any side effects, but amazing results.
- Amla: Take 1tbsp of amla powder in a bowl. Add a moderate amount of curd in it to make a smooth paste. Then with the help of a brush, start applying this paste on the scalp by making partitions. Leave it covered with a shower cap for around half an hour and then rinse it thoroughly with warm water. Shampoo it with a mild cleanser or wash it with the help of gram flour to keep it completely natural. (*Secret- I ask my patients to use baby shampoos post ayurvedic hair treatments as they have the least chemicals, perfumes, and very mild so as to retain the nutrients provided during therapies.)
- Castor oil: Castor oil remains an unsung hero in the battle of hair fall. But in India, since ages, it has been the wonder oil that retains the black color moisture inside hair follicles prevents premature greying. Castor oil contains 85-95% of Ricinoleic acid apart from other fatty acids. It can be applied twice or thrice a week, depending on the gravity of the hair fall problem. You can add coconut oil, olive oil, or almond oil to make it less greasy.
- Tender Coconut: Tender coconut juice obtained by blending tender coconut pulp in a mixer, stimulates cell growth, strengthening hair roots. It contains essential oil, vitamins like vit B and minerals, that nourishes hair follicles.
- Curry Leaves: Curry leaves are a great source of beta carotene and proteins, which reduce hair loss and increase hair growth. The simplest way to use it is to take a small amount of coconut oil, heat it in a deep pan and add the curry leaves. (*Caution: It must be carefully conducted as the curry leaves splutter.)
- Coriander Leaves: You may be shocked to know this that one of the most used herbs in our kitchen is, in fact, one of the best hair fall solutions. Make a paste of a handful of coriander leaves and apply it in the roots of the hair half an hour before hair wash. Coriander has amazing benefits for hair regrowth.